Thank you for visiting YMCA England & Wales website. If you are homeless or if you would like to help someone with a housing need, the below guidance may help.

What to do if you are rough sleeping or see someone sleeping rough

We recommend you contact StreetLink – the rough sleeper referral service for England and Wales.

You can either call 0300 500 0914, visit their website at or download their app (Apple or Android). StreetLink will then be able to connect rough sleepers with local street outreach teams or other support in the local area. The service accepts calls from the public and self-referrals from current rough sleepers.

If you are immediately concerned about the health of a rough sleeper, dial 999 for the emergency services.

In addition, some areas of the country have alternative arrangements for supporting rough sleepers, while some local YMCAs also accept emergency and self-referrals from the street.

Find out more information about our local YMCAs or contact your local council.

What to do if you are worried you may become homeless

A number of different organisations can provide support and guidance if you are in a housing crisis. Options include:

Finding an affordable place to live in London is very difficult. If you are currently in accommodation, it is best to do everything possible to keep it.

Additionally, homelessness charities, such as St Mungo’s, advise that if you are currently living outside of London, you do not come to the capital but seek support through your local Housing Options council teams or other local agencies.

Is there information available in other languages?

Yes. The Citizens Advice has factsheets on different topics, including employment and benefits, in a range of languages, including Polish, Czech, Chinese, Punjabi and Gujerati.

Visit their website for more details.

YMCA work areas advice

If you need support, advice or guidance in any of our work areas, please contact your local YMCA directly.